Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPersonal Email: email@example.comMobile: 9772975628, 6375272476EPBX Office: 2224EPBX Residential: BSNL Office: 252224BSNL Residential: BSNL Private:
- B.E. (2003, E&C Engg., MMMUT, Gorakhpur)
- M.Tech. (2006, Microwave Engg., IIT, BHU)
- Ph.D. (2014, Plasma Physics, BIT, Mesra)
Title of Ph.D. thesis: Analysis and Optimization of Discharge Parameters for Efficient Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD) based VUV/UV Sources.
Areas of Research Interest:
DBD and cold atmospheric pressure plasma devices and technologies for food, biomedical, and plasma medicine applications; high power plasma switches (cold cathode Pseudospark Switch (PSS) and hot cathode Thyratron) for fast pulsed power applications; high density and energetic short pulsed electron beam generation through gaseous discharges for microwave and surface modification applications; and portable and tunable extreme ultraviolet (EUV)/soft X-ray sources for surface modification of biomaterials and radiography.
DBD based mercury free plasma UV-lamps for water purification, High current density plasma cathode electron (PCE) guns, High power plasma switches: 35kV/3kA Thyratron and 40kV/5kA Pseudospark switch (PSS), and Plasma assisted compact microwave source ‘PASOTRON’.
Large volume penning discharge source for VUVspectrometer calibration, mercury free plasma UV-lamp for water purification, and 35kV/3kA Thyratrons for line type pulse modulator applications in LINACS.
Technologies are being Developed:
High voltage (~70kV/10kA) and High current (~20kV/200kA) Pseudospark Switch (PSS), High power (~35kV/10kA) Thyratrons, PS discharge based portable and tunable EUV/X-ray sources.
CSIR X/XI/XII FYP; CSIR-ILP; BRNS-DAE; DST, BRFST-DAE; CSIR-DLR collaboration (PI: 6 Projects, Co-PI:03, Member:03)
3 Indian patents on three different technologies have been filed,
- N. Kumar, U. N. Pal, et. Al, “A Novel Sheet-beam Plasma Cathode Electron (SPCE) Gun and its Beam Diagnostic using Innovative Dielectric Charging Technique” published in India Patent Journal on 03/07/2015, Issue no.:27/2015. (Application No.: 2017/DEL/2014A; Date of filing: 17th July, 2014)
- Ram Prakash, Pooja Gulati, U. N. Pal, et. al, “A novel dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) based portable UV/VUV source for water disinfection” Indian Patent, Application No., 797/DEL/2015 dated 23/3/2015.
- R. P. Lamba , B.L. Meena, H. Rahaman, Niraj Kumar, U. N. Pal and Ram Prakash, “A 20 kV/20 kA Linear Aperture Radial Multichannel Pseudospark Switch (LARM-PSS) for High Current Applications” Indian patent, Application No.: 1220/DEL/2015 dated 1st May, 2015.
48 (IEEE Trans.14, Nature Group:01, AIP: 08, IOP:03, Springer:08, IJPAP:02, EPJAP:01, Cambridge: 01, J. Phys.: Confe. Ser.: 10)
(Google Scholar Citations:489, h-index:14, i10-index:17, Researchgate Score:27.23)
Papers presented in International and National Conferences :141
Two book chapters have been published in New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi (ISBN: 978-93-83305-33-9) and Applied Academic Press, USA (ISBN: 9781771881272), respectively.
Delivered 21 invited talks/colloquium talks (Indian:16 and Abroad:5)
Visited to University of Erlangen, Germany; University of Frankfurt, Germany; GSI, Darmstadt, Germany; University of Karlsruhe, Germany, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, and Orlando, Florida, USA.
Event Organizing Capacity:
Convener of one-day scientific meet on Plasma Assisted Devices (SMPAD-2010) on 22 October 2010 and Co-Convener of 2nd PSSI-Plasma Scholars’ Colloquium (PSC-2013) & National Workshop on Plasma Devices Technology, July 22-24, 2013.
As Ph.D. Guide:
Currently supervising four PhD researchers and supervised two Ph.D. scholars.
As a Dissertation Guide:
Guided 11 M. Tech./MS students and 32 B. Tech./M. Sc. students for their project works.
- Manager of CEERI Vidya Mandir (CVM) Pilani, one of the best co- educational Sr. Sec. School affiliated to CBSE in Pilani.
- Playing different roles in national professional societies, chapters and institutional societies.
- Vice President, CSIR-CEERI Staff Club.
- Member Executive Committee of IEEE Rajasthan Sub-Section from Dec 2017.
Visited two times to University of Frankfurt/Erlangen, Germany to participate in the experimental programme on DBD based VUV/UV sources under CSIR-DLR Collaborative Program. Plays significant role in exploring the scientific collaboration between CSIR-CEERI and University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK on high power plasma filled microwave sources.
R&D Experience: 16 Years
I have been working as scientist in various capacities at CSIR-CEERI, Pilani since January, 2005.
Awards and Honours:
- Awarded Raman Research Fellowship-2019-20 to work at University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
- Received Foundation Day Award for the Recognition of Excellence in Research at CSIR-CEERI for the Year 2018 for the project work entitled “Pseudospark Discharged Electron Beam Driven Compact Plasma Assisted Slow Wave Oscillator” on 21st Sept. 2018.
- Awarded INSA, India – RSE, Scotland, Exchange of Scientists Programme, fellowship to Visit University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland during 7-22, July 2018.
- Received CSIR Young Scientist Award-2015 in Physical Sciences (including instrumentation).
- Received Buti Young Scientist award 2012.
- Received best paper award (2nd Prize) in the theme Strategic Applications of Young Scientist’ Conclave in “India International Science Festival” Dec. 2016.
- Received 3rd Prize for paper presentation “First International Conference on Plasma Processing of Organic Materials and Polymers” Nov. 25-27, 2011, Kottayam Kerala.
- Received “Bharat Jyoti Award” India International Friendship Society in 2011.
- In addition to above awards, I have also contributed in the 9 research papers which have been awarded best contributions in National and International conferences.
Membership of Professional Body/Academies:
|S. No.||Name of the Body||Duration|
|1.||Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)||Senior Member|
|2.||The institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering , (IETE)||Life Fellow|
|3.||Vacuum Electron Devices and Applications (VEDA)||Life Fellow|
|4.||The National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI)||Life Member|
|5.||Plasma Science Society of India (PSSI)||Life Member|
|6.||Indian Vacuum Society (IVS)||Life Member|
|7.||The Indian Physical Society (IPS)||Life Member|
|8.||Vijnana Bharati (Vibha)||Life Member|
Google Scholar Link:
Research Gate Link: