Areas of Research Interest
- Image Processing.
- Embedded Systems.
- Machine Learning.
- B.Tech (1984), Electronics and Electrical Communication, IIT Kharagpur.
- Ph.D. degree in the area of Computer Science and Engg. from the IIT Kharagpur, India, in 1989.
Research and Publications
- He is the author / co-author of 259 research publications in the leading national and international journals and referred conference proceedings, Co-authored 1 book “Multimedia Ontology: Representation and Applications”, and filed 12 patents. He has supervised 15 Ph.D. theses and over 120 post graduate (M.Tech.) thesis. He was handling sponsored project and consultancy at IIT Delhi of total worth: Rs. 16 cr.
Other Professional Roles
- Professor in the Dept. of Electrical Engg. since 2000.
- Dean, Undergraduate Studies, IIT Delhi (2009-2012).
- He has contributed new techniques for video compression based upon parametric compression which has been patented by industry.(ST-Microelectronics).
- He has developed an image categorisation and orientation detection scheme which has been patented and used in a product by industry (SAMSUNG).
- He has developed an Embedded Platform for Smart Camera in a project funded by MCIT for which NAL and industry partners have initiated technology transfer process.
- He is the Consortium Leader for MCIT funded project on Development of Robust Document Image Analysis and Recognition System (Phase-2) for Printed Indian Scripts-involving 15 insitute across the country. In Phse-1 of the project, he has led a consortium of eleven institutes to develop OCR’s for Indian scripts. His team has made for the first time OCR’s for Devnagari, Bangla, Gurumukhi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada and Telugu scripts available on the web (TDIL Website) for general usage.
- He is the co-ordinator of technology projects (involving 11 institutes) under Indian Digital Heritage programme of DST where Digital techniques are being developed for Digital Restoration and Preservation of the heritage of Hampi. The achievements we showcased in an exhibition-cum-workshop which had wide press coverage. The technology developed in under process of transfer to Samsung.
- Developed on the fly code compression and transfer scheme for LG Smartphones in a collaborative project with LG.
- He has developed a new technology for entering Devnagari characters in Smartphone through a combination of gesture and touch inputs for Qualcomm. This work has been submitted for patenting.
- He has worked for development of a new technology for reference free video quality assessment for Interra Systems Limited. The technology is submitted for patenting.
Developed a scheme for Cloud based image super-resolution scheme, submitted for patenting with Samsung.
Membership / Fellowship / Affiliations of Professional Societies
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineers (FNAE).
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad (FNASc).
- Fellow of International Association of Pattern Recognition (FIAPR).
- Awarded INSA (Indian National Science Academy) medal for Young Scientists in 1993.
- Awarded ACCS-CDAC award for Research Contribution in 2012.
- In 2013 received a $10000 Yahoo! Faculty Research and Engagement award in the form of an unrestricted gift.
- Schlumberger Chair Professor in the department of Electrical Engg., IIT Delhi for five years from 2004 to 2009.
- Dhananjoy Chair Professor, since July 2013.