About SERB School
CSIR-CEERI is a pioneer research and development institute in the field of microwave tubes including plasma based devices for over last five decades. It has successfully designed, developed and also batch produced some of the vacuum and plasma filled devices to meet various national strategic and industrial requirements. With this School on “Plasma Devices: Science & Technology” it is planned to provide a focused training programme to the early stage Ph. D. scholars’ by expert scientists, technologists, engineers and academicians where they will share their research experiences related to plasma devices and associated technologies and also their applications for the sustained growth of plasma field.
Aims & Objectives
Present an overview of commercially important Plasma Devices, including the fundamental principles of their operation. Develop good understanding of the concepts required for choosing plasma devices for various applications and evaluating source performance. Giving scholars’ a sound basis for the specification of critical performance parameters.
Upon completing this course, the participant should:
- Understand the principles of plasma devices operation and be able to distinguish between commercially important plasma devices.
- Be familiar with the technical details of power supply and coupling of dc, pulsed DC, RF and/or microwave sources. Adopt a logical approach to troubleshooting and rectifying common power coupling problems.
- Have an appreciation of the important plasma devices performance parameters for choosing a source for specific application.
- Be able to critically evaluate technically and commercially a specific plasma device and have the ability to prepare source specifications.
Hands on Experiences and realization of devices will be arranged in the followings
- Device specific plasma discharges
- Plasma diagnostics
- Plasma vacuum
- Plasma devices simulations
Specialised courses on
- Introduction of plasma
- Gas Discharge Physics & Ionization Mechanisms
- Plasma Device Concepts & Geometries
- Enabling Technologies for Plasmas: Vacuum & Power Supplies
- Development of Different Types of Plasma Devices
- Plasma device diagnostics
- Plasma Devices Modelling
Prof. Santanu Chaudhury, Director, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani
National Planning Committee
- Prof. D. S. Patil, IIT Bombay, Chairman
- Prof. Prasad A. Naik, Director, RRCAT, Indore
- Prof. Manoranjan Khan, Jadavpur University, Jadavpur, Kolkata
- Prof. Kandaswamy Subramanian, Pune University, Pune
- Prof. PallaviJha, Lucknow University, Lucknow
- Prof. Heremba Bailung, IASST, Guwahati
- Dr. Sudhir Kumar Nema, FCIPT-IPR, Gandhinagar
- Dr. Amitava Roy, SERB, DST, Programme Coordinator
- Dr. Nilotpal Ghosh, SERB, DST, Member Secretary
Directors of the School
- Dr. Ram Prakash, CSIR-CEERI
- Dr. Niraj Kumar, CSIR-CEERI
Probable list of speakers
- Prof. Amita Das, IPR, Gandhinagar
- Smt. Kavita Dixit, BARC, Mumbai
- Prof. S. Mukherjee, FCIPT-IPR, Gandhinagar
- Prof. D. Chenna Reddy, IPR, Gandhinagar
- Dr. S. K. Nema, FCIPT-IPR, Gandhinagar
- Prof. H. Bailung, IASST, Guwahati
- Prof. Arun Sarma, VIT, Chennai
- Dr. G. Prasad, Ex-head FCIPT-IPR
- Dr. Shantanu K. Karkari, IPR, Gandhinagar
- Dr. Gursharn Singh, BARC, Vizag
- Dr. G. Ravi FCIPT-IPR, Gandhinagar
- Dr. R. K. Sharma, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani
- Dr. Ram Prakash, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani
- Dr. Ayan Bandopadhyay, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani
- Dr. Udit Narayan Pal, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani
Note: Additional popular evening lectures are also arranged from famous expert scientists across the country
Participation and Funding
Applications are invited from Research Scholars, Post Doctoral Fellows and Young Faculty Members from Institutions, Universities, Colleges, and young researchers from R & D Centres. A few bright and research motivated final year students of M. Sc./M. Tech. may also be considered. The total number of participants in the school is restricted to about forty. All the selected participants will be provided to-and-fro III AC train or bus fare, free lodging and boarding.
Few bright and young participants from Industry are permitted along with regular school attendees. Travel and lodging arrangements are to be made by the participants on their own.
- Last date of application: September 10, 2017
- Intimation to Participants: September 30, 2017
- Confirmation by Participants: September 15, 2017
Interested persons should send their applications, duly forwarded by Head of the institutions/ research supervisor to Dr. Ram Prakash, SERB School Director, CSIR-CEERI, PIlani-333031, Rajasthan by post and apply online with the link given below on or before Sep 10, 2017. The selected candidates will be intimated by Sept. 15, 2017.