Any microwave tube, be it an oscillator or an amplifier, needs an accurate design of interaction structure for the propagation of the electron beam and electromagnetic energy, interaction of the electron beam with the electromagnetic signal and the extraction of the amplified electromagnetic signal. Being the starting point in the design of any microwave tube, the interaction structure design is pivotal in determining the operating parameters of the device like frequency, beam voltage, beam current and other critical performance characteristics of the device such as bandwidth, gain and output power.
The beam wave interaction group works in tandem with different knowledge base vertical i.e. beam dynamics and device technology to optimize parameters of the interaction structure as well as dictate the parameters for electron gun, focusing structure and the collector design of a microwave tube.
This group has the capability to design interaction structures for O-type (Klystron and TWT) and M-type devices (Magnetron and Gyrotron). The activities carried out by the beam-wave interaction group are:
- End-to-end electrical designs of cold and hot interaction structure.
- Evaluation of interaction structure performance in terms of technological issues like multipactor analysis, thermal effects, integration of different components with interaction structure.
- Capability to design futuristic, novel devices leading to patents and publications.
Activities to be jointly carried out by three vertical i.e. beam-wave interaction, beam dynamics vertical and device technology are:
- Establishing CSIR-CEERI as the premier design destination for microwave tubes, both in India and in the global arena.
- Setting up of high end multi core systems with GPU capabilities and purchase of software with GPU license for accurate and faster simulation.
- Simulation as well as parameter optimization strategies for the design of complete device with the actual materials.
To facilitate solution by catering the need of specific device to strengthen CSIR-CEERI’s microwave tube group and making the lab a go-to destination center for design of μ-wave to mm-wave vacuum electron devices.
- Provide indigenous end-to-end design solution to ongoing device specific mission mode project at CSIR-CEERI as well as different strategic/industry sector.
- Close loop design that leads to state of art and some novel design methodology
- Reduce development time and cost
- Generation of human resources in the area of high power microwave
- Generation of IP and fundamental design knowledge know-how in the field of μ-wave to mm-wave vacuum electron devices